Wednesday, February 1, 2012

No Alan Rickman for me...

I was so sad to lose that contest. :(

In other news, I've been a busy little library work/library student. The three jobs thing is slightly killing me but somehow I'm managing to survive/not pass out in the library whilst shelving. So I'm going to say that's a positive.

I'm applying for a new job. What's that you say? Don't I already have three jobs and I was just complaining about how busy I've become. Well, this job is at a community college library and my friend, ASL, just started working at one and has been singing the praises of it. I'm thinking it sounds like a pretty sweet gig and I hope that I get the job and will be able to get my foot in the door in a community college library system. So, fingers crossed mmmkay?

I haven't been reading much, I thought I would over "winter break" but I was sick all Christmas and it sucked. I read in between my codeine-fueled sleep but I don't remember much it. Thank God for codeine eh?

I'll leave this little entry with a funny library story.

I was called pretentious! Now for anyone who knows me they know I CAN be pretentious if I want to be, and usually it's a humor/sarcastic pretentiousness. But this patron actually told me that she didn't know how I could have my job and be so pretentious. Did I mention that she never let me finish a sentence while trying to help her on the computer? Our interaction went something like this.

Crazy lady: Can you come help me on the computer?
TL (that's me): Sure *walks over*
CL: This computer is slow and it won't load my video and I want a different computer. They put me on a different computer last night and I want a different computer because this one isn't working and it's not working and ASDKLJADLKAJSDASLDASKL.
TL: Okay ma'am, well you can log on twice a day, so you're more than welcome to log onto a different computer but I can't guarantee that it will work any faster, our network is notoriously slow.
CL: Can you just go away? You're not helping me. Just go away! And stop calling me ma'am!
TL: Okay then *walks back to my desk*

About 30 minutes later the library computers are shutting down because we're closing. She gets up and turns to me and says

CL: I'm sorry about getting angry before, it's just frustrating when you're computers are not working.
TL: I understand that, we just can't guarantee how fast our computers are.
CL: *Interrupting me* GOD! You know, you're so pretentious! I"m not an idiot! How did you even get this job, you're so pretentious and rude!
TL: I'm sorry you feel that way, ma'am. *internal smirk*

I went to put a note on her account saying that she kind of blows up at staff members and yells and low and behold there were already a ton of notes from other libraries. She came in about  a week later and refused to come ask me for help, asking my co-worker instead. Fine by me, I would have refused to help her anyway. Because being "verbally abusive" to the staff just doesn't fly by me.

Signed,

The Pretentious Teenage Librarian

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Who was this lady?

Kathy said...

Oh, and I'm so sorry about you and Alan!