Thursday, February 10, 2011

One I forgot

I forgot that I read Claim to Fame by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I read it while I was in Sedona. I didn't forget about it because it was forgettable but I think because I was reading so much it's all getting a bit confusing.

Claim to Fame
was pretty interesting. I have always loved book about "celebrities" and child stars and their lives. I had a favorite book when I was a kid, it was written by a girl who was a child star in the 80's. It was her memoir and she had written it in her late teens. I can't remember her name except that she was named after Margaret O'Brien and her brother was Kelly and that she was in a show where she lived with an older gentleman and I think it took place in New York. I know that I picked it up at a book fair in elementary school. It's frustrating to me that I can't remember the name of the book or even the name of the actress and every couple of years I google search it but I can't find it ARG. And now I've digressed.

Basically the book was about a former child star who for all intents and purposes fell off the grid. No one knew where she had disappeared to, but in reality she and her father just wanted to live a quiet lifestyle... not because of all the fame but becuase of her gift. Lindsay Scott has a gift that allows her to hear whatever people are thinking about her. Whenever she goes out side of her house (which is one of the few places she doesn't hear anything) it's a crazy barrage of noise and thoughts all about her. I'm sure that if she was a normal person it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if you're a child star and your sitcom is in reruns..it's kind of crummy. Some of her fans find her though and try to "rescue" her. Although she has nothing to be rescued from, this kidnapping actually opens the door to the rest of her life.

It was an enjoyable book... now if only I could find that stupid child star memoir!!!

No comments: