Tuesday, September 21, 2010

No I in team...

I hate teamwork. I really do. I'm not a group project type of gal, I don't like to share my duties at work, I just don't like it. I like knowing that I'm the one that is responsible for the work and if it's not getting done it's my fault. I don't like having to rely on other people because for the most part other people let you down.

Now, I know that working on group projects and as a team with fellow students is a big part of the MLIS program. I get that and am willing to do it but not without being a little grumpy about it.

Enid talks about every problem I have with teamwork in her powerpoint "The Monster Inside Library School Student Teams". I hate the lack of control. I don't have trust. Blah blah blah.

But the reality is, teams are a part of life. Teams are good, they solve problems, they bring different sides to the table and the allow for different ideas to be fleshed out. The best advice I can think of for a team to work out is to communicate.

Rules need to be set at the beginning of the team. Everything needs to be planned out and expectations need to be voiced and agreed upon. Respect needs to be held for each and every member and support as well.

I remember being back in elementary school and doing a group science fair project. Our group decided that it would be best if we split up the work and then put everything together at the end right before it was due. It didn't work out very well, we didn't communicate to each other what was expected and what really needed to be done in order for our project to be successful. Luckily I have gained some experience since then. I think that I will be able to succeed in teams in library school, as long communication is at the forefront of our teams.

No comments: