Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Too bad I'm already corrupted.

The other day I was working on the reference desk, you know, doing my thing. Answering questions, processing DVDs, watching the cute Kindergarten class tour the library. They were so cute, it was a local Christian school and they just look adorable with there little uniforms and everything. LOVE IT!

Anyways, the phone rings and I answer it and the caller is a gentleman who sounds either really nervous or really sketchy. I'm going to say nervous because...well.. it makes me feel better about the conversation if I think that he was honestly looking for information but was embarrassed/nervous about asking about it instead of getting his jollies asking about stuff.

So lets refer to him as Nervous Patron... or NP

NP: Uh Yea.. Uh hi.. I have a question.. and it's uhh well.. uhhh it's going to be pretty weird.. well uhh.... I'm looking for some books on this topic.. and it's kind of an old topic.. and I'm not sure you would have anything on it.. and um yea..

Teenage Librarian: Okay.. Well what are you looking for?

NP: It's kind of weird.. I mean..

Teenage Librarian: Don't worry, I've had requests for anything and everything before..

NP: Really? What was the weirdest thing?

Now.. I'm thinking we're getting a little off topic.. just spit it out!!!

Teenage Librarian: Um... people asking me for books on bicycles! (I don't know.. I get weird stuff all the time.. let's get on with it!!)

NP: Well.. it's kind of an old term, I mean it might not be in the catalog as this... it's umm it's um.... well.. cuckold.

Teenage Librarian: *blink blink* Okay.

Now.. here's the thing. I know what cuckolding is.. I do. But he was right, nothing came up in our library catalog under that term. Normally when that happens I google the term, find some other ways of putting it and then use those as search term. Minor problem with cuckold.. is that I'm pretty sure some not work apro-pro stuff would come up. So.. you see my problem.

Teenage Librarian: I'm not finding anything under that search term...

NP: Well, maybe search under polyamory? And maybe specifically interracial?

Teenage Librarian: Um. Ok.

NP: Yea... my wife starting working on the base and she's come home and is interested in this.. and I just want to understand the dynamics of it..

Teenage Librarian: Um. Ok.

NP: You just sound so young...

Teenage Librarian: Um. Ok.

Teenage Librarian: Yea, well I've found a book that has a bunch of different essays about different types of relationships including polyamory. Would you like me to hold it for you?

NP: Well, I don't want it under my name....

Teenage Librarian: Well I need A NAME to hold it under... so just give me a name...

NP: John Smith.

Teenage Librarian: Fine..

NP: Are you sure that this wasn't too weird.??

Teenage Librarian: No no.. is there anything else I can help you with?

NP: No.. I don't think so..

Teenage Librarian: Okay, thanks. Have a good day *click*


Oh the joys of the library!

No comments: